Prepare your parcels in the best way – pack the right way with PostNord
Parcels sent by post need to survive bumps, pressure and vibrations during transport. Partly from sorting machines, but also from other goods. That’s why it’s important to pack what you send in a good way. Below are some valuable tips and tricks regarding how you prepare items to send by post, and what you should consider when packing various types of goods.
If you run or want to start an e-commerce store we have collected all our articles on electronic commerce here.
What is packaging?
Packaging is the material used to pack a product and protect the goods you send, to ensure that your shipments remain intact through the entire process of transportation. The packaging should also protect against moist. All parcels should have outer and inner packaging, but depending on the contents the recommendations for how you should pack a product differ. For example, there’s a difference between hard and soft contents.
Packaging for hard products
- Use a durable outer layer – for example corrugated cardboard or a cardboard box.
- Protect the contents from bumps using bubble wrap or another soft inner layer.
- Make sure the contents can’t move around inside the outer packaging.
- Wrap each item individually if you’re sending multiple products in the same parcel.
- Adapt the wrapping based on the sensitivity of the object – use more shock absorbent material for fragile items.
Packaging for soft products
Soft products include textiles – for example clothes or home textiles.
- Choose a durable outer layer that closes as tightly as possible around the product – if there’s too much air inside the package the outer layer may tear and break when subjected to pressure.
- An inner layer is often not needed as the soft product itself is shock absorbent. However, a plastic bag or similar can help protect against moisture.
Sharp objects require additional inner packaging to avoid the risk of the parcel breaking from the inside. This is also important so that no one gets hurt. If you’re shipping scissors, knives or other sharp objects they should be wrapped in durable plastic or an inner cardboard box.
Sealing and labels
Finally, you need to be able to seal your parcel properly and label it in the right place. You can seal using a packaging tape on all joints – preferably both long and wide. The label with name and address of the receiver must be fixed so that it’s clearly visible and can be easily scanned. If you’re sending something fragile, an optional ”This side up” label is helpful.
Use PostNord packaging or your own packaging
Packaging can be created using your own material or ready-made material from PostNord. We offer various types of ready-made packaging material for easy and convenient packing – this includes stuffed bags and boxes.
Simpler post and logistics management with PostNord
The right packaging is one of several aspects to consider when sending a parcel, especially if you’re running a company. With PostNord’s services for businesses you can simplify your post and logistics management in more ways than one. With a PostNord Portal Business account you get access to, among other things:
Skicka Direkt Business
Purchase trackable shipping online and print your shipping labels at home or with an agent.
Integrations for e-commerce
Connect your e-commerce system to PostNord using our integration solutions and get access to for example automated shipping purchases.
Register and follow up on claims to your suppliers.